A close, personal relationship with God is the goal of the gospel. Simply put – God wants you! He wants you to know Him and love Him more than anyone or anything else in your life. He wants to tell you His plans for you and your purpose in life. He wants to walk with you, guide you each step of the way. He wants you close to Him so you can hear his voice above the noise of life.
Fasting is one of the best ways to draw closer to God. The Bible describes many purposes for fasting. Saying “no” to food or some other thing that you have come to depend on daily as a part of your routine is one of the best ways to raise your personal awareness of God. Denying yourself food, coffee, television, social media or music for a limited amount of time in order to become closer and more dependent on your eternal Father is beneficial to your life. Only as you intentionally draw closer to Him will you know His will for you AND want to do it!
Fasting is essential for every follower of Jesus. That’s why, in Matthew 6:16, Jesus said “When you fast,” not “If you fast.”
To accomplish Engage10K we must each understand our part and God’s provision. Next Sunday, Sept. 11, you can get a copy of the 40 Days of Prayer & Fasting Guide in your Connect Group or at one of the Information Centers. Thank you for joining me and Angie on this 40 Days of Prayer and Fasting from Sept. 12 – Oct. 21.
– Pastor Glynn
Here are some helpful tips for making the most of your fast:
- The purpose of this 40 Days of Prayer and Fasting is for each of us to hear from God. If each of us asks God to show us what we are specifically called to commit and give, He will show us. In Matthew 6, Jesus equates fasting with prayer and giving. Fasting brings a sharp focus to the dramatic difference between our physical and spiritual natures.
- The principle of commitment that we learn in sticking with a fast for 40 days is the same perseverance that will see us through the three years of our financial commitments. We won’t quit. If God can help us live without sweet tea for 40 days, He can help us give sacrificially to see His purposes fulfilled in these next three years.
- An effective fast does not have to be relegated to just food. Fasting from some benefit, pleasure or source of enjoyment can be just as helpful in frequently reminding you throughout the day of your greater dependence on God. For example, perhaps you fast from going to your favorite coffee shop, eating dessert, social media, sugar, going to the movies, television, playing golf, etc.
- If you are fasting from food, consider one food type or even one meal a day if you have never completed a prolonged physical fast before.
- There are excellent resources on fasting such as Ronnie Floyd’s book, The Power of Prayer and Fasting.