Here are some of my favorite patriotic quotes. Take a minute to ponder these timeless sayings on the occasion of our country’s 223 birthday.
* “Nothing of importance happened today.” (King George III wrote in his diary on July 4, 1776)
* “Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord” (Psalm 33:12)
* “Whatever makes me good Christians makes them good citizens” (Daniel Webster).
* “Reason and experience forbid us to expect public morality in the absence of religious principle.” (George Washington)
* “Build me a son, O Lord, who will be strong enough to know when he is weak, and brave enough to face himself when he is afraid, one who will be proud and unbending in honest defeat, and humble and gentle in victory.” (General Douglas MacArthur)
* “Will they in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom?” (Thomas Jefferson)
* “Only dead fish go with the flow.” (Gov. Sarah Palin in resignation speech)
* “I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.” (Abraham Lincoln)
* “America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our country.” (George W. Bush)
* “American and Israel share a special bond. Our relationship is unique among all nations. Like America, Israel is a strong democracy, a symbol of freedom, and an oasis of liberty, a home to the oppressed and persecuted.” (William J. Clinton)
* “It is for freedom’s sake that Christ has set us free (Galatians 5:1).